Chapter 1

Chapter 1 was a great introduction to learning how to use a browser. Examples, such as Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox are what were mentioned in the book. I use Chrome a lot nowadays. The only time I have used Firefox was for work because that is what the company is currently using. I do remember using Firefox at a certain point when I was growing up. It was a bit faster to load up than Internet explorer and just looked more aesthetically pleasing than Internet explorer. The letter E with just a ring around it was not good looking like the Earth covered by a fox. Then it showed how to navigate through the browser. I did not really know what each of the components on the browser was called until now. It was explaining to me what the address bar was, then showing me where the bookmark icon was located. It also told me that you can edit your books’ marks which I did not really know. It would have been so much easier locating stuff if I knew that. It taught me the similarities and differences between each browser. Next thing it taught me was about cookies and copyright. Cookies are small text files that a browser saves on the hard drive of a computer. Yes, so that means if you visit Amazon and search for some motorcycle helmets. Then the next time you go on Amazon or go on that same website it will show up what was searched for last time. That is called a cookie, and not the government listening and spying on us. Whenever I search up or say something to my phone. Something similar would pop up as an ad or even something that was selling or I was watching something. I did not know that it was called a cookie and I got scared because I thought the government was spying on me like a creep. You can get rid of cookies by going to the settings and I felt like this would have been helpful in the past instead of deleting your search history. The other way to delete cookies is using a private browser. That will not save any cookies from any website that you visit. Your internet provider will still see what you search up just in case. Private browsing will save you from a lot of stuff and from people you don’t want to find out, except your internet provider. Another thing this chapter has taught me more about is copyright. Copyright is the legal right of the author or other owner of an original work. So that basically means you are copying people's work and claiming it as your own when they owned it created and owned it before you did. You can use a bit of it, but you can’t use all of it and that is called fair use under the copyright law of the United States. I would watch YouTube videos on how YouTube uses only a couple of minutes or seconds of a song or even them singing to it. If they didn’t then their video would not get any money and get copyright strike. Some of it makes sense. I made a video of my rock’s funeral with the song Gary come home. I am not making money from it because it is unlisted, but they still copyright strike my video because it was the full song. It was a touching video and I still feel sad that they did that when i was making any money from it.

<<back                                                                                                               Next>>